Pungent [ ˈpʌn dʒənt ]
Pungency is the condition of having a strong, sharp smell or flavor. It refers to the characteristic of food commonly referred to as spiciness, hotness or heat, found in foods such as chili peppers. Highly pungent tastes may be experienced as unpleasant.
- sharply affecting the organs of taste or smell, as if by a penetrating power; biting; acrid.
- acutely distressing to the feelings or mind; poignant.
- caustic, biting, or sharply expressive pungent remarks.
- mentally stimulating or appealing pungent wit.
- piercing or sharp-pointed.
- having an acrid smell or sharp bitter flavour
- (of wit, satire, etc) biting; caustic
- ending in a sharp point